Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Food for Thought


When I was in Savannah last week, I happened to have one of the greatest dining experiences of my life. It was a meal, a feast really, specially prepared by a chef at The Olde Pink House for eight of us lucky ones. The menu was inspired by what the Habershams, a prominent family in Georgia's early history, would have eaten. That said, what was so impressive about the meal was how it remained as true as possible to 18th century dining and still managed to be so very delicious. I've never eaten such well-researched food. Here's the menu:

Soup
Crab and Corn Chowder with Welsh Rarebit
Pale Ale, Sweetwater 420, Georgia

First Course
Scalloped Oysters
Sauvignon Blanc, Meriau "L'Arpent des Vaudons", Loire Valley 2007

Second Course
Stewed Rabbit with Pattypan Squash and Cellared Vegetables
Chardonnay, Roux Pere et Fils, Burgundy 2007

Third Course
Oxtail en Croute with Sundancer Peas in Madeira Sauce
Pinot Noir, Paul Pillot, Burgundy 2007

Entree Course
Spiced Venison with Pan Roasted Potatoes and Greens
Cotes du Rhone, E. Guigal, Rhone Valley 2005

Dessert
Carolina Gold Rice Pudding and Syllabub with Brandied Peaches
LBV Port, Sandemans, Portugal


Absolutely the best dining experience I've had in a restaurant. What's the best meal you've ever eaten?

6 comments:

  1. Don't you just love an incredible meal? One of my favorites (note, I said ONE because I have sooo many of them!) was my 30th birthday lunch in Paris - the BEST morel risotto of my entire life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds incredible. The hubs and I have been thinking about planning a getaway to Savannah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just blogged about the Pink House two weeks ago while I was on vacation in Georgia!! They have the most incredible fried greent tomatoes and FRIED cheese grits. Yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This meal sounds divine! I love food and I love history...not to mention, I love the south. I'm sure your dinner had to be an amazing experience.

    My aunt always made Scalloped Oysters for the holidays. I'd really be interested to know about that dish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are also famous for their Fried Green Tomato Salad which is a BLT Salad. My Georgia friends say it is the best!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Blogging tips