Thursday, September 17, 2009

Perfect Pound Cake


Pound cake is one of those desserts that is great by itself or all dressed up. I like it toasted and buttered for breakfast, buried in fruit and whipped cream for dessert, and in slivers and crumbs for midnight snacks. This basic recipe from Paula Deen is easy and tasty, and nothing beats that crunchy crust.


Grandmother Paul's Sour Cream Pound Cake

Recipe courtesy of Paula Deen

1/2 lb (2 sticks) butter
3 cup sugar
1 cup sour cream
3 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
6 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. In a large mixing bowl, combine and cream the butter, sugar, and add the sour cream. Sift the baking soda and flour together. Add the sifted flour to the creamed mixture alternating with eggs, beating each egg one at a time. Add the vanilla and pour the mixture into a greased and floured 10-inch tube pan. Bake for 1 hour 20 minutes. (I opted for two loaf pans, which brought the cooking time down to an hour.)

25 comments:

  1. Yes! Yes! ... in the afternoon, like right now, toasted with a teeeeny slive of butter and a poached pear, yes, that is the taste of my childhood, and I thank you for this lovely memory.

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmm the classic southern dessert! i actually just ate a piece from my boyfriend's mom... delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. one of my most favorite things in the world. I do a cream cheese one that my family loves.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, this looks delicious! I love how pound cake tastes good with so many things! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmm, pound cake! Oh, and I tagged you for an award on my blog if you're interested! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your pounds cake looks sssoo delicious! thanks for sharing your recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never made it with sour cream. Maybe that's what I'm missing out on... Thanks for sharing will be trying this one soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Southern perfection! There's nothing like a beautiful poundcake. It is classic good taste.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my that looks delicious!! I would love a piece of that with some coffee right now!

    ReplyDelete
  10. yummy! i can't really bake, can i come over to your place instead.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never had pound cake before but this looks scrumptious - thank you for the recipe

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooh, I adore Paula Deen recipes - I need to make this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I haven't had pound cake since I was a kid! Perhaps I'll try to make my mum's old recipe this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I haven't had a lot of pound cake...but it looks delicious! Maybe I'll try it. I had no idea it was so versitile!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog...come back and visit!

    ReplyDelete
  15. mmmm this looks scrumptious! you have a lovely blog, thanks for stopping by mine! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  16. yum, this looks delicious!! may have to be my baking dish of the week!

    ReplyDelete
  17. thank you for the visit

    my goodness this looks delicious
    i'm gonna have to have a go making it
    even though it'll probably look nothing like this hehe

    lovely blog you have!

    xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. il bandito del bignéSeptember 20, 2009 at 8:48 AM

    use this recipe in muffin tin and you have more of that golden crunchy crust.

    ReplyDelete
  19. My kind of woman, toasted and buttered for breakfast. Breakfast of champions. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I can seriously kill like a whole pound cake by myself in less than a day. It's sick! ah ha

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Blogging tips