Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Nectarine Dream


I've been savoring the final flavors of summer, trying to get my fix before all things pumpkin take hold. This nectarine upside-down cake hit the spot. The brown sugar-coated slices of fruit glistened in the sunlight and smelled like the yummiest candied treat, and the cake beneath was light and crumbly. It turned out to be an appropriate combination of summer sweetness and autumnal comfort.


Nectarine Upside-Down Cake
Recipe courtesy of Everyday Food

10 tablespoons (1 1/4 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
4 cups nectarines, cut into bite-size pieces
1 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
1 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder
1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
1/2 teaspoon of coarse salt
3/4 cup of granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt


Preheat oven to 325 F. Place 4 tablespoons butter in a 9-inch round cake pan (2 inches deep) and melt in oven. Remove pan from oven and sprinkle brown sugar evenly over butter. Arrange fruit in an even layer in pan. In a medium bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat 6 tablespoons butter on high until light and fluffy. Add granulated sugar and beat until well combined. Beat in eggs, one at a time, scraping down bowl as needed. Beat in vanilla. With mixer on low, add flour mixture in three additions, alternating with 2 additions of yogurt, and beat to combine.

With a spatula, spread batter over nectarines. Bake until cake is dark golden brown and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 1 hour and 10 minutes. Let cake cool in pan on a wire rack, 15 minutes. Run a knife around edge of pan and invert cake on to a serving plate. Serve warm or at room temperature. Serves 8 to 10.

17 comments:

  1. I grew up eating pineapple upside-down cake - at every family gathering! So, it did get a little "old" there for a few years, but in my adult years, I'm back to loving it... but this would sure be a lovely change.

    Love your description of how it is appropriate for both fall and summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all your food photos. They always look sinfully delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard of a nectarine upside down cake before! I love nectarines! When I move into my new place I basically need to print out your blog recipes because they sound too yummy not try out for myself!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that looks delicious. I think I'm going to stock up on some white nectarines and prepare one of these beauties myself.

    I can always count on you for food inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i'm a food gawker!! nice photos

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yes! I have a fabulous recipe similar to this but a little more tart tartin! I must share with you when I return!
    xo tash

    ReplyDelete
  7. You always make everything look so delicious! I can almost taste it from here!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks delicious. I have been eating a lot of nectarines these past few weeks. I can't wait for it to cool down so i can start baking!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, this looks like such a fun twist on my beloved pineapple upside-down cake recipe from my mama. Going to have to try this one! =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. yuuuuuuum.
    Stone fruits in desserts are the BEST!

    ReplyDelete
  11. that is the prettiest thing i have ever seen! my how you can bake friend1

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just baked a pineapple upside down cake the other week, but this looks even better – yum!

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMG that looks soooooo good! I think I could even eat that for breakfast! Yum!
    oxo

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Blogging tips