Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Feeling Chili


I am not a cold weather person, and yesterday, it was 9 degrees. On the plus side, there could not have been a more opportune time to make chili. I used Real Simple's turkey chili recipe, mostly because I had all the ingredients on hand and I was doing my very best to avoid leaving the apartment. It came together fast and it was perfectly delicious. So there are two good things about January: chili and hot chocolate. I can't think of much else.

Turkey and Bean Chili
Recipe courtesy of Real Simple

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 pound ground turkey (preferably dark meat)
2 tablespoon tomato paste
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle chili pepper or 2 teaspoons chili powder
1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
2 15-ounce cans kidney beans, rinsed
kosher salt and black pepper
1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
cilantro sprigs, for serving

Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion, bell pepper, and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, 4 to 6 minutes. Add the turkey and cook, breaking up with a spoon, until no longer pink, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste, cumin, and chili pepper. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes and their juices, beans, 1/2 cup water, 1 1/4 teaspoons salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, 12 to 15 minutes. Serve the chili with the sour cream and cilantro. Serves 4.

23 comments:

  1. we have been living off of chili these days! just can't get enough of it, in fact it's probably what i'll be making for dinner. 9 degrees is just unreasonable! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im also freezing here and this recipe sounds perfect for today...I think I have everything home I need for it...Thanks,sweetie
    Happy cozy Tuesday
    Muah

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you are right! The chili looks amazing. I think I'll try it! Carla

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have used that recipe before--delish. Looks great in this pic. Enjoy and stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry it is so cold there! I HATE being cold!...chili definitely helps, though!! LOVE chili!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish I liked beans because that chilli would be perfect right now!! It is so cold in New York right now!!

    Melanie's Randomness

    ReplyDelete
  7. sounds like the perfect thing for a very cold day!! hope it warms soon

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is PERFECT chili weather. I may need to follow suit and make some this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. YUM! this looks delicious and I"m not usually a fan of Chili but I'd try this one!
    http://www.annawithlove.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Soup and hot chocolate are definitely top of the list but there's also hot baths, cozy socks, game nights, cuddling under big throw blankets, flannel sheets... Not that I'm complaining about my San Diego sunshine, but I wouldn't mind splitting the difference with you for another month. Can't we both just have 50 degree days?

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds like my kind of chili. I don't really like beef chili, but this sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm impressed that you had the ingredients on hand! That looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  13. this looks easy & yummy! printing it out now. thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oooh, so glad i discovered you via cup of te! your blog is so lovely and i am drooooling over this chili!

    can't wait to read more...

    xo,
    joAnn

    ReplyDelete
  15. The perfect meal for this dreary weather today. can you package some up and fedex it to me? :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am having a hard time finding things to love about January these days, too! Hot chocolate and chili are certainly the high points; this recipe sounds great, I really like the addition of chipotle powder. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  17. yum! that looks so good right now on this rainy day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those two things do make January a little brighter.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The perfect cozy, winter meal!

    It looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  20. That looks so yummy.. chili would be a great dinner this week since been so darn cold :) I may try this very very soon

    ReplyDelete
  21. yum! this looks super delicious... and perfect for keeping warm!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Blogging tips